About Me

My photo
Washington, United States
loves: you win if you guessed "pets" and "museums". Also books, art history, travel, British punk, Korean kimchi, bindis, martinis, and other things TBD. I will always make it very clear if a post is sponsored in any way. Drop me a line at thepetmuseum AT gmail.com !

Tuesday, January 10, 2017

smiles

courtesy national gallery of art, washington
American primitive art has an honest kindness about it.  Since by definition it isn't produced by classically trained artists, the resulting work may not always be formally accurate as to appearance, but I believe it doesn't lie.  Based on that, I believe the smiles on the faces of the toddler and dog here are the real deal.  This pastel, "Child with Pet Dog" (c. 1825) is from the hand of Micah Williams (American, c. 1782 - 1837).  Williams reinvented himself in adulthood as a traveling portraitist in and around New York and New Jersey.  I've found an article with lots more detail on his story; I think you would find it interesting, so here it is!




No comments: